Jump to navigation
(007A) Opening ceremony in Riverside Park
Excerpt from page 7 of "B.C.'s Inland Empire" by Erskine Burnett associated with this image: On July 8th, 1937, during the 125th Anniversary Celebrations, one of the original buildings of the Hudson's Bay Co.'s fort was opened as a museum of historical relics. These relics take us back to the early days of the country and have since been transferred to more commodious quarters in the city library building. The collection now includes many natural history specimens and pictures of old-timers and old-timers scenes. It is open to the public on two evenings a week and we once spent an hour examining everything under the guidance of Mr. G.D. Brown Jr. This museum forms and inspiring background to the present day life of the Shuswap Country and is the best thing of its kind in the interior. In the above picture of the opening ceremony in Riverside Park appear Judge Howay, Mayor Scanlon, Commissioner French of the Hudson's Bay Co. and Sir Francis Floud, the British High Commissioner to Canada. Mr. French, in tall hat and cloak, impersonated Sir James Simpson.
EDM-3726. B.C.'s Inland Empire photo no. 7A
1 photograph : black and white ; 6.3 cm x 8.9 cm