Jump to navigation
(389) Wellby horse barn & old Penticton Hotel
Excerpt from page 95 of "B.C.'s Inland Empire" by Erskine Burnett associated with this image: The above shows the Welby horse barn at the change-over from horse-drawn to motor transportation. The horse-drawn stage ran to Hedley and Princeton, carrying passengers, mail and express, - a four day round trip. Our first visit to Penticton was in 1909. We were looking for land after moving from Alberta to Vernon with a car of horses and machinery. Leaving the horses at the Simmons place on the B.X. we boarded the "Okanagan" at the Landing. Although this boat was replaced later on by the "Sicamous" to cope with the expanding traffic the accommodation and meals were excellent. On board was S. C. Smith of Vernon who told us he was thinking of starting a branch of his lumber business at Penticton. At that time the Okanagan called at every settlement along the lake, large and small and, apart from the stage to Kelowna, was furnishing the only means of communication with the outside world. Penticton was very much in the embryo stage then. We ran across a man with a team and wagon who was hauling the surface rock off that looked like a ten-acre lot just east of what is now Main Street. There seemed to be a good many hundred loads of rock and his remuneration was to be one-half of the property so cleared.
EDM-3726. B.C.'s Inland Empire photo no. 389
1 photograph : black and white
StablesAutomobilesCarriages & coachesHorse teams
Images provided for research and reference use only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from Enderby and District Museum and Archives: http://www.enderbymuseum.ca/