Jump to navigation
(001) "Point between the rivers"
Excerpt from page 3 of "B.C.'s Inland Empire" by Erskine Burnett associated with this image: In the progress of the whites across Western Canada the junction of two rivers has always appealed to the imagination and has often been chosen as a trading centre. The Red and the Assiniboine, the Bow and the Elbow, the Peace and the Smoky and the Columbia and the Canoe are bound up with the history of the West, and in 1812, the Hudson's Bay Company established itself at Kamloops, which means, - "Point between the Rivers". At most seasons of the year the water of the North Thompson is muddy and that of the South Thompson clear, as shown in the picture. Kamloops may be regarded as the western gateway to the Shuswap country although the river up to Little Shuswap Lake bears the name of the great explorer.
EDM-3726. B.C.'s Inland Empire photo no. 1
1 photograph : black and white ; 7 cm x 11.5 cm
Images provided for research and reference only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from Enderby and District Museum and Archives: http://www.enderbymuseum.ca/